SEMTEC The SE MN preK-12 Technology Coordinators

Welcome to SEMTEC! Home of SE MN Educational Technology Leaders!

I learned about an application called iTalc at BrainStorm 10 back in March. I implemented this program in 5 computer labs during the summer and we have been using it successfully since September. I just though I'd pass this along. We are using this program to turn on all of the machines in a lab, shut down all of the machines in a lab, lock computers, remote control, send the teacher computer display to all of the workstations in a lab, monitor what kids are doing on a specific machine, take screen shots of what a user may be doing and a few more that I'm forgetting to name. from my desk I can reach out to any of the labs or individual computers and remote troubleshoot-update-re-boot-shut down machines. Best of all it is free. Takes a bit to setup and is really tough to get off a machine once installed (a good thing) but we are loving it here. Give it a look.

Views: 444

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Brian,

Did you have any issues getting the iTalc master software to work on a Windows 7 machine?
I have not had any issues with the master computers that are running Windows 7, I currently have 3 machines running Windows 7 and are masters. I have 4 classrooms on my own as well as a list of individual teacher machines that I remote troubleshoot. However I'm having issues seeing the display of Windows 7 Client machines. I had found some tweaks on a message board and had it working perfectly, then I cloned the machines with FOG and I can't get the italc to work properly on the Windows 7 clients. Actually I couldn't get a bunch of stuff to work properly on the cloned boxes. Not sure if it screwed up something when I ran SysPrep or what but I was going to try to follow your instructions from your blog about FOGging windows 7.

Matt Anderson said:
Brian,

Did you have any issues getting the iTalc master software to work on a Windows 7 machine?
Your imaging issue could be a couple things, but I would try removing the fog client if you have it installed on the problem machines. We have a product called Successmaker that workstations access and we started having intermittent problems. I removed the FOG client and the problem went away. It could be any number of the services within the FOG client that was causing the issue. If that's not it, i'm guessing you install the iTalc software after imaging your machines.

Back to the Windows 7 issues. Actually not really a Windows 7 issue. Are you able to setup one classroom or lab and have multiple master computers manage it? I don't need them to do it simultaneously but I do need two staff members to have the ability to connect their computers in a lab and manage the lab machines without them using the same machine.

Have you been able to get that to work?

Brian Bartley said:
I have not had any issues with the master computers that are running Windows 7, I currently have 3 machines running Windows 7 and are masters. I have 4 classrooms on my own as well as a list of individual teacher machines that I remote troubleshoot. However I'm having issues seeing the display of Windows 7 Client machines. I had found some tweaks on a message board and had it working perfectly, then I cloned the machines with FOG and I can't get the italc to work properly on the Windows 7 clients. Actually I couldn't get a bunch of stuff to work properly on the cloned boxes. Not sure if it screwed up something when I ran SysPrep or what but I was going to try to follow your instructions from your blog about FOGging windows 7.

Matt Anderson said:
Brian,

Did you have any issues getting the iTalc master software to work on a Windows 7 machine?
I have two Windows 7 boxes managing some of the same labs with no problems at all. I I also have two XP boxes managing the same labs, again with no issues. We usually aren't doing it at the same time.

Matt Anderson said:
Your imaging issue could be a couple things, but I would try removing the fog client if you have it installed on the problem machines. We have a product called Successmaker that workstations access and we started having intermittent problems. I removed the FOG client and the problem went away. It could be any number of the services within the FOG client that was causing the issue. If that's not it, i'm guessing you install the iTalc software after imaging your machines.

Back to the Windows 7 issues. Actually not really a Windows 7 issue. Are you able to setup one classroom or lab and have multiple master computers manage it? I don't need them to do it simultaneously but I do need two staff members to have the ability to connect their computers in a lab and manage the lab machines without them using the same machine.

Have you been able to get that to work?

Brian Bartley said:
I have not had any issues with the master computers that are running Windows 7, I currently have 3 machines running Windows 7 and are masters. I have 4 classrooms on my own as well as a list of individual teacher machines that I remote troubleshoot. However I'm having issues seeing the display of Windows 7 Client machines. I had found some tweaks on a message board and had it working perfectly, then I cloned the machines with FOG and I can't get the italc to work properly on the Windows 7 clients. Actually I couldn't get a bunch of stuff to work properly on the cloned boxes. Not sure if it screwed up something when I ran SysPrep or what but I was going to try to follow your instructions from your blog about FOGging windows 7.

Matt Anderson said:
Brian,

Did you have any issues getting the iTalc master software to work on a Windows 7 machine?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2017   Created by Bryan Berg.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service