SEMTEC The SE MN preK-12 Technology Coordinators

Welcome to SEMTEC! Home of SE MN Educational Technology Leaders!

Anyone have experience with the Kindle in classrooms?? One of our teachers wants to use an eText for class next semester with a class of 15, and I'm wondering the pros/cons of this idea. Thanks in advance for any info.

Corey

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I learned a little about this at a conference this past October. You can purchase an ebook and share it simultaneously with up to 6 devices. (Barnes and Noble Nook or Amazon Kindle) You then check out the device to the student. Within these books you can annotate, search, and even add audio (at a fee). Managing this may be difficult for 15 as I am thinking you have to have multiple accounts. I was thinking that there are kindle/nook readers for iPads/iPods. You may get more bang for you buck with those devices because they can do so much more? We havent adopted any of this technology yet - so there may be others who are more knowledgeable on the topic. Osseo Schools has done quite a bit with eReaders.
the text the teacher wants to use is opensource...does that apply to the 6 device limit?? i know little about this...
No, I dont think that would be the same thing. This was some sort of a system that you could buy an ebook for a library and share it up to 6 times. How well the opensource eBooks work on a kindle...I am not sure.
I think I'd opt for the Kindle over the iPad / Touch. Far too many distractions with those devices. If you want the kids to read, give them a device that lets them read. Don't give them a toy, and then expect them to be productive with it. We all would like that to be the truth, but don't lose track of reality. ;)

Opensource books shouldn't have any issues, other than finding a format compatible with your chosen e-reader.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Bryan Berg.   Powered by

Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service